A columnist of heart and mind

A columnist of heart and mind
Interviewing the animals at Children's Fairyland in Oakland. L-R: Bobo the sheep, Gideon the miniature donkey, me, Tumbleweed Tommy the miniature donkey, Juan the alpaca, Coco the pony

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Love Never Dies


On this day in 1979, there was a knock on my door, and I opened it to find four little kids from the elementary school across the street, holding a tiny gray tabby kitten.
"Mister, did you lose this kitty?" they asked.
"No," I said, "but I'll take her."
This was my introduction to Eliza Doolittle, my first cat. We were together for almost 17 years.
Eliza died in 1996. Since then, she has been succeeded by Nelly Custis (who, alas, was killed when she was still a kitten) and the current incumbent, Phoebe Pember.
I love Phoebe dearly, and we've been together for almost 15 years. But I still think of Eliza every day, and I still miss her (as I do Nelly).
If there really is a heaven, I don't want to see my parents or a lot of other people I knew. But I'd give anything to see Eliza again.

No comments: